Monday, March 5, 2007

The Beginning

Ok so here's the story so far...

On Saturday, February 10 at about 3:30 in the morning I woke up with this pretty bad pain in my lower abdomen. I tried to self medicate and go back to sleep, but nothing was working and the pain was getting worse. By about 8:00 a.m. I couldn't take it anymore and woke Jason up and told him I needed to go to the ER. He got up and showered and we were off to the ER at Plaza Medical Center. By this time the pain had spread to my right side along with my lower abdomen. So the ER does the initial work up and decides I probably have a kidney stone. They did urine tests and blood tests to make sure. Well after already getting my IV and my pain medication the doctor comes into my room and tells me that my urine test shows that I am pregnant. I laughed at him. He wasn't kidding. See, I was on birth control AND had had my previous period so I was sure there was so way I was pregnant. The doctor informed me that he was going to do a serum pregnancy test which is more accuate as well before they moved forward. They wanted an MRI, but since my pregnancy test came back positive, they couldn't do one. Anyway, the serum test came back positive too and Jason and I were in shock and also super excited. So that is how we found out. They ended up doing a sonogram to see how far along I was and also to see if I did actually have a kidney stone. The sonogram showed that I did in fact have a kidney stone and that I was about 4.5 weeks along in my pregnancy. So I went home happy not only cause I had some good pain medication running through my body, but also cause I was gonna have a baby!

Sunday, February 18 - I started bleeding vaginally which quite frankly freaked me the heck out especially since I am in medical school and know every possible thing that can go wrong during pregnancy. It was about 8 p.m. AND I had an exam the next day. I called my OB/GYN (who I had not even met ever) and told her what was going on. She told me to take it relax and take it easy for the rest of the night and call her office in the morning and make an appointment to get a sonogram and some blood work done to see if everything was ok or not. So I went in Monday afternoon and got some blood work done. They called me on Thrusday to tell me that my progesterone levels were low - which isn't good. Low progesterone levels correspond to high risk of miscarriage. I was worried - again. So the docotor prescribed me 50mg supossotories which I have to take twice a day. They also wanted me to come into the office on Monday to get a sonogram done. (I spent both Thursday and Friday hunched over the toilet vomitting cause I was passing my kidney stones) So on Monday Jason and I went back to the docotors office to get the second sonogram of our very short pregnancy (so far). The baby was about 1.8 cm long and there a nice good strong heart beat (good news!). The chances of having a miscarriage AFTER seeing a good heart beat in utero is only 1 in 10 which is way better then the 3 in 5 for before you see the heartbeat. It was really cool to see the heart bearing. It was kind of surreal. It was hard to believe that is going on inside of me and that that heartbeat is the heartbeat of my future child. It's so surreal. I cannot even describe it. So anyway, although the sonogram looked good the doctor wanted us to come back to get more blood work and another sonogram on Thursday. So back I went on Thursday and saw the heart beating again - nice and strong at 154 bpm. The baby was 1.99 cm long and they took my blood again to measure all my hormones. I still have not met the doctor, but I have an appointment today at 1:00 to meet with her and find out what she thinks about all this stuff that is going on and get any questions I have answered.

So, in summary, I am about 9 weeks pregnant and have already had 3 sonograms, been stuck with needles over 6 times, and will be due around October 1 (so late September or early October).

Ok well I guess I will update again after I see the doctor this afternoon.

No comments: