Thursday, September 20, 2007

Another Doctor's Visit

Well I saw the doctor again yesterday and there have been some changes. The first and most exciting (to me) is that I am now 50% effaced (that means my cervix is starting to thin out). Although being effaced isn't anything to get excited about, at least SOMETHING is happening. My cervix is still closed and very high - if one of those two things change, then we can get excited.

I have to go back on Friday because my doctor is becoming concerned about pre-eclampsia. (It is the most common, dangerous complication of pregnancy and it may affect both the mother and the fetus.) My swelling is pretty bad and has now started to affect my face and my hands are constantly numb from entrapment of the nerves. The second concerning sign of pre-eclampsia is that my blood pressure has slowly started to creep up. It has been around 100/60 my whole pregnancy and yesterday it was 140/80. Although 140/80 is still in the normal range, since it is high for me my doctor is a little worried. I will go in on Friday and get my blood pressure checked again. If it is any higher than what it was yesterday we will probably begin discussing inducing labor to avoid developing full blown pre-eclampsia. (The only cure for pre-eclampsia is to have the baby.) I am going to have a friend at school take my blood pressure again today just to see what it is. I will update Friday after I see the doctor.

No comments: